he station was not part of the original Metro network which commenced operation in 1980, but appeared on a preliminary map entitled Possible extensions to the Metro system in 1978, and again on a revised map in 1979.
The Airport extension, encompassing both Airport station and the intermediate Callerton Parkway station, was opened on 17 November 1991, having cost £12 million to construct. Prior to this date the Metro’s Green line terminated 2 miles to the south-east at Bank Foot, with passengers heading to the airport having to alight there and take the M77 shuttle bus to the airport. The vast majority of the route of the extension was already in place, having been opened in 1905 as part of the Ponteland and Darras Hall Branch of the North Eastern Railway. Although the line no longer reached Ponteland or Darras Hall, enough of it remained that building the extension only required around 0.2 miles of new right-of-way.
In 2014 a survey conducted by the Consumers Association found that the Metro service from the Airport was one of the highest rated in the country for customer satisfaction. Only the Intercity train link to Birmingham International Airport was rated higher.