It is built on an embankment above Wansbeck Road, which is the border of the West Gosforth and Fawdon wards. A second concrete span was added to the original single-track bridge in 1978–1979 as the Metro was being built. The platforms are on opposite sides of the road, and only the Newcastle City Centre-bound platform is accessible from either side of the road.
The line was originally part of the Ponteland Railway, opened in 1905, between the Coxlodge and West Gosforth (now Fawdon and Regent Centre respectively) stations.> The station is close to the point at which it crossed over the now-dismantled Fawdon Waggonway. The bridge where it did so, west of the station, is still in use as a pedestrian underpass.
The station is primarily used by people living in the surrounding housing estates. Regent Farm First School is situated on one side of the line. Near the station there is a local shopping centre which includes two small supermarkets, a Co