Originally posted 2016-09-27 15:17:29. Republished by Blog Post Promoter
The original North Shields station (named Shields until 1874) opened in 1839 on the Newcastle & North Shields Railway. Although originally a terminus station, the line was extended to Tynemouth in 1847 by the digging of a tunnel under North Shields.
The original station buildings lasted for around 50 years until they were replaced by new booking offices constructed over the platforms by the North Eastern Railway in 1890; these survived until the mid-1960s when they were replaced with a prefabricated structure by British Rail. This work also removed the overall roof from the platforms, replacing it with individual canopies over each platform.
North Shields Metro station exterior pre-refurb
The original Metro building pictured in 2010, prior to demolition
The station was closed in August 1980 for conversion to Metro use, reopening in November 1982. During this work the platform-level canopies and ramps from the entrance to the platform were retained, but the 1960s station entrance was replaced by a new structure.